Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Don't Forget To Breathe

Sounds like a no-brainer, doesn't it?  You inhale a deep breath of oxygen and release it.  Repeat.  Today was one of those days where inhaling and exhaling was easier said than done.  As I sat in a chair at a local salon, waiting for errant hairs to be forcibly removed from my face, my stylist leaned down and said "Are you breathing?  Don't forget to breathe."  I suppose in my apprehension of having those errant hairs ripped from my skin, I forgot the simple task of allowing air to enter my lungs 

I had court today.  It should have been one of those days where I could sit prettily at the defense table and play on my phone as I waited for my handful of cases to be called.  For the most part, I did get to do that (and add some delicious looking pins to my "Crock in the Pot" board on Pinterest) but it seemed like I couldn't walk through the hallway or stand up without someone stopping me wanting me to try to get their case called sooner.  Ask, ask, ask.  Demand, demand, demand.  I know it's the nature of the job and most days I truly enjoy my work and want to help people but today it seemed to irk me.  What happened to "please" and "thank you"?  My parents taught me at an early age that those words can get you far in life. I truly wish that more people had learned that lesson. After the third time of being flagged down (after telling this same person "no" twice before), I realized that I had forgotten to breathe.  Inhale.  Exhale.  Repeat. Here's hoping that tomorrow I won't have to think twice before doing this simple task.

No comments:

Post a Comment